Decided to make a large batch of basil pesto recently. It was so delicious and tasty! Of course, I made a bit too much. Here is the perfect solution to store the leftover.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
- 3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Combine the basil in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor. (If you are using walnuts instead of pine nuts and they are not already chopped, pulse them a few times first, before adding the basil.) Add the garlic, pulse a few times more.
- Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Makes 1 cup.
- Serve with pasta, or over baked potatoes, or spread over toasted baguette slices.
For a quick snack, spread pesto oven a whole wheat pita, add slices of tomato, onions and a bit of feta. Cook in over for 10-15 mins at 325 degrees. I cut it up into triangles and served it to the kids.