I recently heard about Abundant Harvest through work. It is a local organic, weekly produce delivery service. It is a challenge each week to come up with different recipes to incorporate and use up everything from the box. Items like those delicious grapes in the upper right get eaten the same day. Easy enough.
For other items like eggplant, squash and cauliflower; I have to get more creative. I decided to try a Roasted Eggplant Soup that was published in last weeks newsletter. I left out the cream, so it turned out more gazpacho-ish to me. Still very good but I think I will include the cream next time.
- 3 tomatoes, halved
- 1 eggplant, halved
- 1 small onion, halved
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup of cream
- 3½ ounces crumbled cheese of choice
- Prevent oven to 400 degrees
- Places tomatoes, eggplant, onion, and garlic on baking sheet and brush with oil. Roast until tender and slightly golden. About 45 minutes.
- Scoop out eggplant and discard skin. Place eggplant, tomatoes, onion and garlic in a large pan with thyme and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer until onion is very tender, 35-40 mins. Puree in a food processor or blender. Return to low heat and stir in cream.
- Bring to simmer. Season with salt and pepper.